ProActive Physiotherapy offers licensed acupuncture.
- The term acupuncture describes a family of procedures involving stimulation of anatomical points on the body by a variety of techniques
- Acupuncture involves inserting thin, disposable metallic needles into specific areas of the body.
- Most patients find that the treatments are relaxing and cause minimal discomfort.
- Relief may be immediate or occur within a few hours or days. Acupuncture can be used as the only form of therapy or it may be combined successfully with other forms of medical or physical therapy.
- Some benefits of acupuncture are:
- decrease tenderness
- increase joint range of motion
- decrease swelling
- decrease redness associated with inflammation
- Research has found that acupuncture stimulates the production of endorphins and cortisol in the brain. These chemicals are vital in pain relief and inflammation control.
Acupuncture for Addictions
Acupuncture can be effective in controlling a wide range of addictions including:
- Many drugs (cocaine, heroin, pain medications, etc.)
Acupuncture may relieve symptoms of withdrawal such as cravings, depression, anxiety, headaches, muscle cramping, and sweating. Some other benefits you may notice are improved sleep and relaxation.
Daily treatments are recommended and may last 30-45 minutes. Acupuncture for addictions usually consists of five needles that are inserted in the ear. Sometimes additional body points are used. The Acupuncturist may provide you with an ear seed or tack that can be used at home to help manage withdrawal symptoms between treatments.